Click the knot for Home Page
badgeknot.jpg (1746 bytes)

The Burgesses Banner

On 19th March 2004 a dedication service took place at St Chad's Church, Stafford for the new Burgesses Banner.

The banner was Commissioned by the Freemen's Guild and Financed by a generous member of the Guild Council.

It is a superb example of needlework executed by Mrs Glenys Pye, wife of our treasurer, and Mrs Gayle Stubbs, who is the instructor of a Stafford needlework group. We are indeed fortunate to have such talents available to us and very grateful for the time and effort they have put into this project.

When the Freemen of Stafford take part in Civic ceremonies, like the Remembrance Day Parade, or the Mayor Making Procession, we now have a means of recognition.

The old terminology of Burgess of the Borough was used to avoid the confusion with the "Freemasons", which was evident after the 2002 Remembrance Parade, when we carried no identification other than our ties and blazer badges.
A member of the public was heard to say "They're the Freemasons, but it's all right now because they let women in!"

The central emblem is the badge of the Stafford Freemen's Guild, based on the Arms of the Borough and featuring the well known Stafford Knot.

It is proposed that the Banner will be held for safekeeping and display in the Borough Council Offices, or the Mayor's parlour, where it can be appreciated, as well as providing a focus for the Guild, its history and its objectives.

Click the knot for Home Page
badgeknot.jpg (1746 bytes)