John Price's Pages 13
Betley Window - References and Acknowledgements
I have explicitly quoted from the following texts. All copyrights are
- Edward J. Nicol "Some Notes on the History of the Betley Window"
in Journal of the English Folk Dance and Song Society, Vol VII No. 2 (1953).
- C.G.O. Bridgeman "Note on the Betley Morris Dance Window".
William Salt Archaeological Society: Collections for a history of
- George Tollet: Notes at the end of Johnson's and Steevens' 2nd
edition of Henry IV Pt 1 (1778)
- W.E.St.Lawrence Finny "Medieval Games and Gaderyngs at
Kingston-upon-Thames", reprinted in Journal of the British Society of Master
Glass Painters, Vol. VI No. I (1935)
- John Forrest "The History of Morris Dancing, 1458 - 1750"
University of Toronto Press (1999)
- Godfrey N. Brown "This old house: a domestic biography; living
conservation at Betley Court". Betley Court Gallery, Betley (1987).
- E.Hinchliffe "Barthomley" (1856)
- Francis Douce "Illustrations of Shakespeare" (1807)
- Mike Heaney "Observations on early images of 'morris dancers'" in
The Morris Dancer, Vol. 3 No. 11 (January 2004)
I am grateful to the following for providing me with help - some great, some
small - on this little project. All mistakes are entirely down to me, and these
people do not necessarily concur with what I have written:
Susan Ashworth, Alison Bailey, Lester Bailey, Gertraude Benoehr, Freda Brown,
Godfrey Brown, David Buchanan, Patrick Corness, Mike Crist ('Eustace'), Sarah
Crofts, Mike Darlington, Ruth Dodsworth, Ted Dodsworth, Janet Dowling, John
Edwards, John Elkins, Dominic Farr, John Forrest, John Frearson, Philip Green,
Mike Heaney, Robin Hildyard, Jenny Howard, Julie James, Sally-Beth MacLean, Anne
McCormack, Susan McKenney, Chris Metherell, Chris Mitchell, Michael Peover,
Jerome Price, Emma Rummins, Pat Spode, Malcolm Taylor, Tony Tomlin, Steve
Tunnicliff, Liza Verity - and "rcb" of Canterbury Books (whoever he or she may